Consideration for the award is based on:
1. Length of service to the school press field;
2. Accomplishments made during that tenure;
3. Innovative concepts from which scholastic journalism has received something beneficial;
4. Recognition by members of the state press association with which the official has been associated;
5. Availability for receiving the award at the time of the presentation.
To support the nomination, at least three letters of recommendation from persons who are well acquainted with the nominee's record are required.